New Fertility Clinic Wellington
27 August 2020
New Fertility Associates clinic to cater to the changing shape of NZ families
In 2020 the number of patients needing fertility treatments has increased as has the complexity of the treatments we provide.
These now include:
- Egg Freezing as a reproductive choice for single women
- LBGTQIA+ patients – including surrogacy and transgender patients
- Fertility Preservation for those facing fertility endangering treatment e.g. cancer patients
- Pre-Implantation Genetic diagnosis for those who carry disease causing genes
- Donor conception – both egg and sperm donors
“In order to provide the best possible services and access to technology for our patients, many of whom are publicly funded, we have made a significant investment in building a new clinic here in Wellington.” says Dr Andrew Murray.
The clinic will be opened on Friday 28th August by:
- Hon. Grant Robertson, MP for Wellington, Minister of Finance, Sports & Recreation, Associate Minister for Arts, Culture, Heritage.
- Prof Le Gros, Director of Research, Malaghan Institute and a lead COVID researcher who will speak about the importance of collaboration between research and the clinical coalface, as well as an update on his work on developing a Covid-19 vaccine.
The opening event:
- Dr Andrew Murray, Medical Director - to speak about the future of fertility and the importance of partnerships with research institutions like the Malaghan Institute in Wellington and the University of Auckland which enables Fertility Associates to bring world-class care to patients both in New Zealand and Malaysia.
- Prof Le Gros: Research Update – the coalface of clinical practice during the Covid-19 pandemic. Prof Le Gros leads biomedical research at the Malaghan Institute and is working on a New Zealand-made COVID-19 vaccine.
- Hon. Grant Robertson – overview of NZ today and the need for continued investment during these uncertain times.
The new Wellington clinic provides treatment to a population of over 1 Million from as far as Gisborne, down to the top of the South Island, many of whom are publicly funded. The new clinic will provide:
- A larger laboratory to accommodate the constantly evolving fertility technologies - such as time-lapse imaging and pre-genetic screening and the rapidly evolving AI
- Additional treatment areas to cater to a more diverse patient mix
- A whanau room to provide wider support when needed and more consult rooms and private spaces for patients having procedures
- Research with institutions like the University of Auckland and collaboration with the Malaghan Institute in Wellington allows Fertility Associates to bring world-class care to patients both in New Zealand and increasingly in Asia.
- In 2014, Fertility Associates, expanded offshore and are now a major provider of fertility treatment in Malaysia
- Fertility Associates have been in Victoria Street Wellington since 2007, and since this time they have helped over 6,350 babies into the world.
- FA Wellington provides treatment to a population of 1 million, from as far as Gisborne to the top of the South Island. With some patients travelling from Canada and the US for treatment at the Wellington Clinic.
- This new state of the art facility will future proof FA Wellington into the future as we continue to provide the best possible facilities for our diverse communities.